Sea Dragon Kayak Adventure
Private and small group sea kayak instruction through a modular-based system providing paddlers the core skills needed to enjoy and safely explore Puget Sound.
- Gear and outfitting
- Packing a Sea Kayak
- Tides, Currents, and Weather
- Practical Sea Kayak Navigation
- On-Water Communication
- Capsize Recovery
- Capsize Rescues
- Basic & Intermediate Strokes
- Intro to Greenland Paddling
- Intro to Tidal Currents
- ACA EKT (L2) Skills Clinics
- ACA EKT (L2) Skills Development Module
- ACA EKT (L2) Assessments
ACA EKTTL (L2) Modules
Providing sea kayakers the core skills needed to
enjoy and safely explore Puget Sound.
If you haven’t taken a rescue class, I can’t express to you enough how empowering taking a rescue class is. Robert is truly an amazing instructor and I highly recommend him!!
A Modular-based approach
I use a modular-based system (classroom-based, on the water, and specialized courses) which allows students to focus on a specific area of paddling instruction. They provide excellent building blocks for advancing your skills as well as allowing you to step back and repeat modules to practice and improve a skill set at any time.
With each module covering a specific aspect of paddling instruction, multiple modules can be combined to create a customized curriculum tailored to your individual (or small group) experience level, needs, and goals.
- Modules are designed for up to 4 students, as smaller groups provide greater learning opportunities and more personalized coaching in a safe environment. Smaller groups allow modules to be further customized. Exceptions may be made for up to 6 students on a case per case basis.
- Each module runs approximately 3 hours. The actual instruction time for each will vary based on group size, breaks taken (scheduled and as needed), and student progress.
Please note, ANY of these modules can be combined into a full curriculum or modified to include parts of each module for a customized learning experience. If you have something specific in mind, please reach out to me.
I’d like to thank you, Robert, for a wonderful class yesterday on Benson Lake. The small group format made for personalized instruction and allowed us to view up close various scenarios. I appreciated your positive attitude and compassionate instruction.
Rather than working off a set calendar, modules are scheduled when the student (or group) signs up. This includes the date, time, and class location.
Customized scheduling offers great flexibility – learn at your pace on your schedule.
On occasion, pre-set dates and locations will be made available to supplement your learning or for those looking to work on a specific skill.
Each instructional module is available year round.
Policies and disclaimers:
- On-water kayak instruction modules require a signed waiver, full immersion gear with appropriate thermal protection (wetsuit or drysuit with appropriate base layers), and an approved PFD. SUP/paddle board modules require a leash. Gloves, neoprene booties or appropriate water shoes, and a neoprene skull cap are recommended. No cotton may be worn for any on-water instruction module. Helmets and/or additional safety gear may be required for some modules.
- No gear is provided. My gear and outfitting class is recommended for beginners prior to taking on-water modules.
- Modules (with some exceptions) are open to sit in recreational kayaks and sea kayaks (including skin-on-frame, Trak, and Oru kayaks) with a minimum of front and rear bulkheads or approved flotation and SOT kayaks.
- For pool sessions, wetsuits or rash guards are recommend. Drysuits are not recommended for pool use.
- All modules require a signed waiver prior to participation.
- Minors 14+ may participate in select modules with a parent or legal guardian. (Exceptions can be made for younger students and for older students without a guardian present for some modules.)
- Refunds are provided in full if the student cancels prior to 72 hours before module start time, or I cancel the module. Student cancellations within 72 hours of module start time are refunded at 75% unless the module is rescheduled.
COVID 19 Health and Safety Protocols:
- All modules require proof of vaccination. (Exceptions MAY be made on a per case basis).
- Please bring a mask that can be quickly worn when/if necessary.
- If you show any signs or symptoms (regardless of the nature of the illness) please cancel immediately.